Wednesday, 31 January 2007

Cape Le Grand National Park

It's hard to believe that a week has passed, yet here it is, Tuesday evening, the 30th of January and our last night at Cape Le Grand National Park.

Tomorrow we leave the park and head back to Esperance to pick up Maggie from the Kennel. From there we are heading to Bremer Bay for a few days. I don't know if we will have a connection there, so I thought I'd fill you in and post this while in Esperance where we are sure to have a connection, and take the opportunity to check our email and any comments as well.

Should you ever find yourself in this part of Australia, definitely do not miss Le Grand National Park. There are two campsites here, one at Lucky bay and one at Le Grand Beach. At Lucky bay, where we are, there are three tiered camping areas for vehicles/camper trailers, and another for tents. There is also a camp kitchen/barbeque, some picnic tables, solar heated showers and flush toilets. If you are coming into the park to camp you pay a park entry fee on the first day, and then a ranger comes around to collect camping fees. The fees are $7.50 per adult per day.

At Le Grand Beach the sites are a bit more private, and are set up in individual bays, with a group camping area at one end. We had a look, and it looked like a nice spot, especially if you are after privacy, but we liked the close proximity to the beach at lucky bay. Honestly, they are both close, but where we are the beach was a few steps closer than at the other campsite.

We spent the week overlooking Lucky Bay and the most beautiful azure sea rimmed with snow white sand and Islands in the distance. We are just a few meters from the most beautiful beach I have ever seen in my life and we have the BEST view from our camper. Truly, it looks as though someone painted it in some sort of paradise fantasy scene. It's really too gorgeous to be real. The sand is as white and clean as fresh fallen snow, and not at all gritty. It is very fine and feels almost like talcum powder. And, when you walk on it, especially if it's wet, it squeeks! We decided to see what it was like to drive on, and one afternoon we drove ourselves to a lovely secluded spot. Very handy to have your cold drinks and stuff right there in the car a few steps from your towel! When you look at the edges of the beach where bush and sand are mingled, you would swear that it was snow on the ground. That's how bright white it is.

And.. the water is out of this world. It is so clean and clear, that when we were in it up to our necks we could look down and see our whole bodies, including our feet as clear as day. In one spot there were a few stones in the sand under the water, and even the smallest pebble is easily seen. It was like being in a swimming pool. A VERY clean swimming pool. In fact, the first time I went in for a swim I put my finger in my mouth to taste if it was salty. I just couldn't believe that this crystal clear water could possibly be the ocean.

In addition to the beach, we spent time enjoying various other parts of the park. We climbed Frenchman's Peak to be rewarded with a spectacular view of an archipelago of islands that surround the area as well as wildflowers and rolling granite hills extending as far as the eye can see and yielding only to the "snowy" banks and the ocean.

We also went for a walk to view some rock formations near another beach called Thistle Cove. While we were there we explored a rocky area of the shore and came across a lizard baking in the sun. I don't know how Mike manages to spot these things, he was invisible to me until Mike pointed him out. Mike took a shot of me standing under a rock called "the whistling rock". It has a slit in it which we assume would make it whistle in the wind, although it was silent when we were there. It was only when we got back to the camper and viewed the photo that we realized it looks like a giant baseball glove, or mitten about to swat me!

Back at camp tonight we are winding down for our departure tomorrow. As I'm writing this we are listening to the waves hiting the shore, and a frog that makes an appearance every night. As soon as we hear leaves rustling we rush to the window to see if we can spot the kangaroos. The first couple of days that we were here we would occasionally see what looked like a mum and baby roo hopping through the campsite, baby following closely behind mum. We saw them several times, quite a few times close to our camper, and assumed they were the same two. That is, until the mum and baby made an appearance and we of course were watching them when all of a sudden about 8 more roos followed behind, several appearing to be mums and babies. They get quite close, and are not at all afraid of people. I'd guess that in the past quite a few people have ignored the "please don't feed the kangaroos" sign.

It's after ten here (after midnight in Melbourne), and the time between yawns is getting shorter and shorter, so we are off to bed. I'm looking forward to checking our email tomorrow, and reading any comments, it feels like a long time since we've been "in touch". Talk to you then!

Posted by Picasa


Anonymous said...

This is test from Robert Ballarat. Having no success posting comments.

Mike & Sheryl said...

Hi Robert,

I think the problem may be caused by our delay in posting comments. As the comments are moderated to avoid spam we receive them first and then okay them for posting. Sometimes this happens quickly (we are notified about new comments via our mobile) but depending on our connectivity there can sometimes be a long delay. Sorry for any frustration, and keep your comments comming, we love getting them. :)