Thursday, 17 June 2010

And They're Off!

After much organising, packing and general tieing up of loose ends we finally set off on Wednesday afternoon a mere five hours or so later than planned. If you know us, (okay, me) you'd know that's actually not too bad!

We didn't get all that far before it started getting dark and we decided to spend the night at Mortlake Caravan Park. When we left Geelong it was chilly, but obviously something drastic had happened in the time we were en route.  We got out of the car to be greeted by strong freezing winds and shivered our way though what was probably our quickest setup ever.  Luckily we finished before the fun really began.  A storm rolled in and it poured and gusted all night. Our camper was nice and toasty thanks to a $9 Aldi heater that we had warmed things up with before bed, but the storm had us up several times during the night.

In the morning the rain miraculously stopped long enough for me to slosh my way to the amenities block, but as soon as we started packing up it bucketed once again.  As the weather was so horrible we spent longer driving (in the warm dry car) than we would have, stopping only for lunch and a couple of breaks.

400 kilometers or so later, we seem to have driven past the storm front and we are now in Padthaway, South Australia amongst grape vines and wineries.  As I sit here in the warmth of our trusty heater I am feeling hopeful. Our last major trip began with a night spent amidst a beetle plague without a grape in sight. I'd say we're off to a good start.

Today is my gorgeous sister's birthday.  Happy birthday Audrey, we love you!

3 comments:

Chelle said...

Hey Chickey
We lost power for 5 hours with the storm last night. Glad you are toastie warm in your camper.
Love you long time
Chelle xoxoxo

Audrey said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes! And, thanks even more for the "gorgeous" comment. I love you guys!

I'm SO glad you got out of the stormy weather. I hope the weather warms up for you. If not, at least you are near wineries and if you drink enough you won't notice. Have fun. Looking forward to reading all of your adventures.

Sheryl said...

Chelle, It was a rough night, but things are looking up now. I suppose I should be glad it wasn't just us that the black cloud was following.. :)

Audge, I only speak the truth! Good idea about the wineries too. We just may follow your advice.

xoxo