Friday, 9 July 2010

Pass The Sunscreen! ... And The Birdseed?

We've finally made it above the storm front, and now find ourselves in sunny Mataranka where it's a balmy 31 degrees (approx 88 Fahrenheit) during the day and cool overnight.  Needless to say, it's a welcome shock to the system.

We're staying at a homestead which backs onto the national park and is a short walk from one of the beautiful (we're told) natural hot springs where millions of liters of crystal clear 34 degree (94 Fahrenheit) water flow through daily.  I can't wait to check it out and have a nice long soak.  There are are a few of these hot springs around, as well as the river and barramundi just waiting to be caught, plus whatever the town has to offer, so I imagine we'll have plenty to keep us entertained for a few days.

The park itself seems nice enough so far.  It's bush style camping with shaded (and powered) sites, barbecues, a kiosk with shop and canoe hire, and a bar with food and nightly entertainment.  We only arrived yesterday afternoon, so after setting up we didn't have time to see much other than about half a dozen peacocks wandering through our site.  Judging by the state of the amenities block, I don't think I'd be keen on staying in one of their cabins, but if you've got your own accommodation it so far seems like a really nice spot.

Speaking of peacocks, as I was writing this a visitor turned up at the camper door.  I didn't have my camera ready but did the best I could with my phone.  More later.


Posted by Picasa

No comments: